Saturday, October 31, 2015

From Facebook.

Many years ago I stopped going to temples (except as an aesthete of heritage and architecture). I saw in their machinations the distilled essence of every human foible and vice that piety purports to absolve. I saw class, caste and every petty divisive metric amplified hundredfold. When I craved quiet reflection, I got noise and chaos. To attain detachment from worldliness I was directed to a VIP queue that promised to bring God closer, but only to the wealthy. Temples reminded me of feudalism and untouchability, privilege and nepotism, colossal waste of natural resources, environmental degradation and abuse of power, and everything else about the human race that dismayed me, and which I had opted to forget and outgrow. The larger the temple, the stronger the sense of alienation from humanity, and the more distant I felt from my life's purpose. My decision disappointed many close to me but excising religion from my life has only strengthened my faith - in humanity.
Which is why I was glad to receive this via Whatsapp from my dad:
Go not to the temple ~
by Rabindranath Tagore:
Go not to the temple to put flowers upon the feet of God,
First fill your own house with the Fragrance of love and kindness.
Go not to the temple to light candles before the altar of God,
First remove the darkness of sin, pride and ego,
from your heart...
Go not to the temple to bow down your head in prayer,
First learn to bow in humility before your fellowmen.
And apologise to those you have wronged.
Go not to the temple to pray on bended knees,
First bend down to lift someone who is down-trodden.
And strengthen the young ones.
Not crush them.
Go not to the temple to ask for forgiveness for your sins,
First forgive from your heart those who have hurt you!

No comments:

Post a Comment